Have you heard about one of the most popular toys on the market this Christmas? Watch out! Hoverboards may not be a safe option for your child. A couple of weeks ago, I heard a podcast where the host shared her research findings regarding who actually invented hoverboards. It turns out, the toy have burst on the scene, but not inventor has really confessed are been attributing to making this device. What’s even more concerning are reports that indicate that there may be a problem with some hoverboards that could cause them to explode and catch on fire.
I recently saw this story on WJLA about a young boy whose hoverboard caught on fire while charging:
The three largest U.S. airlines are banning hoverboards because of the potential fire danger from the lithium-ion batteries that power the devices.
Delta Air Lines, American Airlines and United Airlines said Thursday they are banning hoverboards in checked or carry-on luggage. JetBlue Airways has already prohibited them. (Source)
The fires are being caused by the lithium-ion batteries. These are the same batteries that have caused some cell-phone fires as well. This holiday, I am encouraging safety-first. I really like the hoverboard buying tips given by Montgomery County Fire Department:
- “Only charge one if you’re at home.” Basically, don’t leave the unit plugged into an outlet without being supervised.
- “Only buy if certified by a recognized testing lab.” An official lab needs to test each board to make sure that it is safe for consumers.
- “Only buy if logo is printed on it.” Shop at your own risk and research which brand names are more respected.
The potential dangers are not limited to hoverboards. Remember these batteries can over heat and are known to explode.
ABC‘s Good Morning America recommends:
- Keep lose batteries away from excessive heat.
- Keep lose batteries away from liquids and metal objects.
- Keep lose batteries away from coins and keys.
- Keep lose batteries away from jewelry.
- Don’t drop your device.
Episode 85 is a full show of hearing from our Cleverly Cultured kids . They chime in about their different perspectives ...
2022 has been a difficult year for many families, people are still learning how to adjust to life during a pandemic; ...
Investing is the best way to prepare for your future, but most people don’t know where to start. If you’re tech-savvy ...
You’ve sat on it for so long, but with Bitcoin at the forefront of our market, it’s unavoidable. With the digital ...
Investing is the best way to prepare for ...