The summer is fast approaching and I wanted to include a post about pool safety because I am horrified every time I hear about pool accidents. There is a government website that is a good resource about pool safety. Also check out the USA Today post about pool guidelines. Following are my top 3 pool safety tips.
My top 5 Pool Safety Tips are:
- Encourage your child not to drink the water.
- Supervise. Never leave your child unattended, not even for a second.
- Don’t run. Never let your child run near the pool.
- Knowledge is power. Don’t put all of your trust in safety protection gear, while they are great to have, I believe it is important for all children to know what to do in the water. Basic swimming lessons may teach your child how to survive. Knowledge is power. (This last tip is a bit controversial, but I believe that it can save lives).
- Wear sunscreen. Don’t forget to generously apply sunscreen. Direct exposure to the sun can also be dangerous so get an SPF of at least 30-50, make sure it is water-resistant, and hypoallergenic and fragrance free.
- Close gates. Make sure that pools are not easily accessible for children to get into on their own. A lot of accidents are caused from children wondering into pools on their own.
- Have a phone in a safe place near the pool. This is critically important if a situation arises and you need help immediately, going to look for the nearest phone could result in precious time being wasted.
- Every parent should know CPR. Of course, the life guard on duty will be prepared, but it is best to have parents equipped with this knowledge as well.
In the world of social media, we often ...