Hearing about Tiffany Hebb’s son, Ollie, who experienced a fatal Washing Machine Accident sent chills down my spine. Of course, w, as parents and caregivers, always want to keep an eye on our children, but that is not always possible. As Hebb’s family grieves over their toddler who climbed into the washing machine while his mother was in another room reading a magazine ,we may be quick to point fingers. However, we have to keep in mind that it only takes a few seconds for children to get hurt.
Therefore, I wanted to send out a child proofing reminder checklist
Some highlights from the list are: (please click on the link above to see a comprehensive list.)
- Put nonslip mats in bathtub and on the floor next to the tub.
- Fill tub with just enough to cover your baby’s legs (2 to 3 inches of water).
- Don’t hold your baby while cooking at stove.
- Secure oven door with an appliance latch.
- Never leave your baby unattended on your changing table even when they are strapped in.
- Put safety plugs or outlet covers over unused outlets or block with furniture.
- Cut looped window-blind cords; use safety tassels and cord stops.
2. Childproofing Checklist For Crawling Babies (Baby Health Guru)
Some key points to remember are: please click on the link above to see a comprehensive list.)
- Drop crib mattress to the lowest position because children learn how to climb very quickly and will learn how to escape faster than you realize.
- Secure heavy furniture, paintings, and even televisions to the walls to prevent them from tipping or falling. Children see book shelves and dressers as cubicles designed for them to play on. Thus it is important to secure these items.
- Install safety latches on all appliance that your child can reach, and remove small refrigerator magnets because they are potential choking hazards.
4. One of the first lessons I learned when I was pregnant was how to conduct Infant CPR. After taking a class, I downloaded the instructions on my computer’s desktop just in case I needed a quick go-to guide. Click here to download your own copy.
Technology is great. Tech gadgets are interactive and fun for children to use, but giving him or her an electronic device ...
Join us and the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Inc. (SCDAA) for National Sickle Cell Advocacy Day 2013 Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at ...
We can all do something to help someone else. Unfortunately, even in our very own communities, there are people who go ...
When I became pregnant, my small petite body ...