I can hardly even believe that we are preparing for school. Spring was completely consumed by the pandemic, so it was hard for me to write a back to school post about how to shop for school tax free, but here we are and it’s time to make your list and start building your school supply reserves now. However, I like to be able to help my readers save money. Now is the perfect time to review the video I shared during my Homeschool Hints Video Series about how to gather homeschool supplies on a budget.
Also, check out my list of homeschooling must-haves at my Amazon store: http://bit.ly/cleverlychangingfavs
Shop For School Tax Free with These Savings Tips:
- School supply list can often be found online at your child’s school website or at a local Walmart. Follow Staples penny deals and take advantage of reviewing local ads at office supply stores throughout the summer. Read 10 more tips for Saving Money on School Supplies
- Go through the items you may still have from last school year and see if they are still in good condition, only replace items as need.
- Do an inventory of your child’s clothes and come of with a list of clothes that your child will need.
- Don’t forget about checking local thrift and discount stores to find some items at cheaper prices.
- Even if you plan to homeschool these deals can reduce your family cost as well. Read 4 Ways to start Homeschooling on a Limited Budget. Keep in mind that certain homeschool online sites (like Classical Conversations), will honor the tax free days in your state.
Every state’s back to school tax-free holiday is different, see the schedule below to find out about which date your state’s tax-free weekend falls on.
2020 Sales Tax Free Dates
Many online retailers do honor state tax free holidays.
|Alabama||July 17-19||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $50, books under $30, and computer related items priced under $750.|
|Arkansas||August 1-2||Clothes and School supplies under $100|
|Connecticut||August 16-21||Clothes and Footwear under $100|
|Florida||August 7-9||Clothes and school supplies under $100, supplies under $15, and computer related items priced under $750.|
|Unfortunately, GA no longer holds sales tax holidays in their state.|
|Iowa||August 7-8||Clothes under $100|
|Maryland||August 9-15||Clothes and Footwear under $100|
|Massachusetts||August 29-30||Retail items up to $2,500 per item. (Some exclusions apply.)|
||Clothes and Footwear under $100|
|Missouri||August 7-9||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $50, and computer related items priced under $1,500|
|New Mexico||August 7-9||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $50, and computer related items priced under $1,000|
|Unfortunately, NC no longer holds sales tax holidays in their state.|
|Ohio||August 7-9||Clothing priced at $75 per item or less; School supplies priced at $20 per item or less; and School instructional material priced at $20 per item or less.|
|Oklahoma||August 7-9||Clothes under $100|
|South Carolina||August 7-9
||Clothes, School supplies, and computers|
|Tennessee||August 7-9||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $100, and computer related items priced under $1,500|
|Texas||August 7-9||Clothes , Backpacks, and School supplies under $100|
||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $20, energy star products under $2,500 and generators under $1,000|
- It’s Back to School Time, Is Your Child Ready?
- Ten Tips for Ensuring a Healthy, Safe and Successful School Year
- Parents Save Money on eBay
Reader Response: What are some unique ways you save during back to school time?
What are my recommended places to shop school supplies
- Office Depot
- Hobby Lobby
Episode 85 is a full show of hearing from our Cleverly Cultured kids . They chime in about their different perspectives ...
2022 has been a difficult year for many families, people are still learning how to adjust to life during a pandemic; ...
Investing is the best way to prepare for your future, but most people don’t know where to start. If you’re tech-savvy ...
You’ve sat on it for so long, but with Bitcoin at the forefront of our market, it’s unavoidable. With the digital ...
Investing is the best way to prepare for ...