Not long ago, I signed-up with Hello Fresh to receive recipes and fresh vegetarian meal options. The service has been great so far and I am able to reduce the amount of time I usually spend meal planning. This week we received our first meals and the stir fry and rice was my favorite. They called the recipe Vegetarian Bibimbap which at first threw me for a loop, but after looking at the ingredients I realized my family and I were in for a treat.
Why did I join Hello Fresh?
You see, cooking isn’t my favorite home chore, but I love to eat and create so with the guidance from Hello Fresh’s meals, my family and I are enjoying new foods. The best part about hello Fresh is that I don’t have to go to the grocery store as often and the next best things is that they teamed up with Jamie Oliver to provide dishes from his creative repertoire.
How long have you used the food delivery service?
Currently, I’m still on my first week of meals, but I wanted to share what I made this week. If you want to try Hello Fresh, I am happy to share my referral code with you. Use 9H65KY and get $40 off your first box. I love that their meals also come with the nutrition facts.
Meal time has become an exciting family adventure for us. The vegetarian meals have lots of vegetables to chop, so I get my husband and kids involved too. If you like my adaptation of stir fry and rice, definitely give their meals a try. Stir fry is a vegetarian staple, but the hello fresh gave the meal a whole new life.
Are the meals new ideas?
Some of the recipes are meals that I have not tried before, but it has always been food that I want to eat. We love vegetables so taking food that we already love and coming up with new ideas to mix different herbs and spices together has been delightful.
Pictured above is my typical stir fry and vegetable recipe with ginger sauce and below is the one I made this week from the Hello Fresh recipe. the ginger sauce is made the same but I love their recommendation to use a potato peeler to slice the carrots and zucchini.
Which meal has been your favorite so far?
The stir fry recipe was one that everyone in my household loved. They ate it up and we didn’t have any leftovers. The garlic and ginger were spicy for my young kids, so I used a little less than recommended by the original recipe.
Stir Fry Twist, Recipe Below
- Button Mushrooms
- Broccoli (Hello Fresh calls for Broccolini, which is baby broccoli)
- Soy Sauce
- White Wine Vinegar
- Brown Rice
- Sesame Seeds
- *Hot Sauce
- Olive Oil
- The rice will take the most time, so it's best to prepare the rice first. When preparing rice in my home, I like to rinse it and then cook it in our slow cooker. A family secret that helps our rice turn out better is to add a little oil to the water so that it will be be less sticky. Cook rice according to normal instructions: 1 cup to 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Remember, it takes brown rice much longer to cook than white rice, which is about 45 minutes.
- Wash and prepare all of your vegetables. I used our Spiralizer for the zucchini, but you could be creative and use a potato peeler and shave the zucchini and carrots lengthwise.
- Cut the broccoli into small (1") pieces. Slice the mushrooms thin and grate or dice the garlic. Peel and mince the ginger. Pickle the scallions with vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Pickle the scallions by chopping them thinly and adding them to 2 Tablespoons of vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the rest of the vegetables (carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms - simultaneously) in olive oil for 4-5 minutes. Using a wok made this process much easier.
- Optional: Cook 2 eggs sunny side up in the same olive oil after the vegetables are done sauteing and are transferred to a different serving dish.
- Make the ginger-soy sauce by combining about 4 tablespoons of soy sauce with 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 thumb of ginger root and 2 garlic cloves (add two more if your family likes spicy garlic). You can simmer the sauce on the stove or blend in a blender.
- Plate and serve vegetables over rice. Drizzle hot sauce over your sunny-side up eggs and you have a tasty stir-fry and egg dish.
- ***I didn't use sugar, eggs, or hot sauce in the recipe I made at home.*** You can also switch out the rice to whichever kind you and your family like the most.
If you want to follow the things I am making from the Hello Fresh Boxes, visit my Instagram account.
**This is NOT a sponsored post, I signed up with this service because I genuinely thought it would help make my life a little easier and it has.**
Reader Question: What’s the best stir fry that you’ve ever had?
I enjoy live theater and Broadway-style shows. When ...