I would like to highlight 5 reasons why I think a happy marriage is great. Of course the reasons below are not true for everyone, but the reasons listed are true from my perspective.
1. When you love the person you are committed to, the good and bad that you encounter makes life seem much sweeter. Being married to your lover and friend continues to challenge you to be creative and grow. Each day you learn how to give of yourself and receive love and affection in multidimensional ways.
2. It is also comforting to know that you have a support system and companion under the same roof, someone who is willing to extend their values, their gifts, and even their friendship on your behalf.
3. Life in general appears to become more stable. You have more reasons to feel content and satisfied. Financially, the overall household income is usually greater. You also tend to think and plan for the future more often and better than if you were single. Your since of security is heightened.
4. Your compassion and patience for other people should grow. Some research even suggests that married people tend to live longer than their unmarried counter parts. Marriage is about doing for each other and learning to love it.
5. Intimacy with another person is comforting, helps to relieve stress, expands ways of communication, and can increase satisfaction and trust in your life.
I wrote this post, in honor of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: William and Kathryn.
A happy marriage should focus on being other-centered. If both parties are devoted to the other person, each person will have their needs met greatly. Congratulations to Prince William and Kate may their life be filled with an evolving love that will sustain them for decades.
It is with sweet memories that I reflect on the words I wrote below before my husband and I married. Over five years later, every word continues to remain a reality.
“YOU ARE MY SUN THAT BRIGHTENS EVERY
YOU ARE MY WIND THAT COOLS ME ON A
YOU ARE RAIN THAT WATERS MY GROWING
YOU ARE MY STAR THAT TWINKLES
BEYOND THE CLOUDS.
YOU ARE MY MOON THAT LIGHTENS MY
PATH ON A DARK WINTER’S NIGHT.
TO YOU I COMMIT MYSELF.”
I grew up surrounded by many strong women. ...