My friends often ask me how I started blogging so I decided to write a post to answer their questions. Here is my guide to what I think a person should do if they want to start blogging.
- Find several blogs that interest you. Read the blogs and see what they are all about. Do your research. Google, Bing, and search the net to see if there are a lot of blogs sharing the same information that you desire to post. If not, great. If so, evaluate how you can put a different spin on the topic.
- Think about your personal interests and what you would like to share. A blog does not have to be public, it can be a private dialog of your life. A blog can also be based on photos, recipes, fashion, poetry, short stories, humor, etc. The possibilities are limitless.
- Think about a unique niche. What will set your blog a part from the millions of blogs on the internet?
- Create a blog email address and avatar. Use these just so that people can contact and identify you and your blog.
- Think about how you want your blog to be structured. This all depends on your topic and vision. Answer these 4 questions:
- Who is my target audience?
- What will I display? (Will it be based on written text, videos, photos or something else? A combination is great!)
- When will I post? (Strive for everyday if you can, blogs are more successful with consistent fresh content).
- How will I market my blog to gain readers? (You may have great content, but if no one knows that your blog exist, your blog will be limited.) You must market your blog to gain readers some ideas to began are to join online communities with similar interests. Visit tons of blogs and share your link. Join social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Stumble Upon, Instagram, Google Plus etc. to help you gain a following of people interested in your material. I think the best way to market your blog is to share your blog with everyone you know. All of those emails in your contact folder, email them and let them know what your blog is all about. Do you have a lot of Facebook/social media friends? If so, let them know that you started blogging and they should read it. Learn about SEO and how to get Google search enginesto pick up your blog.
- One marketing article I love is “50 Website Traffic Sources You Should Milk Like Crazy“
- Another useful article is “How to Generate Traffic Without Spending a Dime
- “How to Really Get Targeted Traffic to Your Site”
If you have questions or comments feel free to ask and share. I look forward to hearing from you.
Image Credit: Stuart Miles, freedigitalphotos.net