September is Sickle Cell Awareness Month. Sickle Cell is a genetic blood disorder that affects over 20 million people worldwide. Instead of a person’s red blood cells being round they are shaped like a banana. When the misshapen blood cells stick together they cause a person to have complications like immense pain, stroke, organ failure, and more. Therefore during the entire month of September I raise awareness about sickle cell disease.
Eleven years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Sickle Cell Disease. Since her diagnosis, I have been learning all that I can about the disease. This September, I am trying to Be the Match increase their registry of black donors, which is why I need your help.
Raise Awareness About Sickle Cell Be a Cure
Be The Match is looking for African Americans who are between the ages of 18 and 44 years old. The process is simple, they are only asking for one cheek swab. Ironically, with one swab they can determine if your bone marrow can save a patient’s life. Register here: join.bethematch.org/SC3Carley or Text SC3Carley to 61474 to take the first step to being someone’s cure. Sign up for a Swab Kit and become a marrow donor today. This small act could help save someone’s life. The process only takes 10 Minutes.
A list of Sickle Cell Events Going on this Month:
(This events are encouraged by the SCDAA)
- September 1: Sickle Cell Association of Houston to hold Houston City Hall Lights the Sky for Sickle Cell Association of Houston for Sickle Cell Disease
- September 2: Blood Drive at the Dow Event Center in Michigan to help patients with sickle cell disease
- September 2: Telemedicine in Rural Hospitals and How the Landscape is Changing
- September 3: Children’s Sickle Cell Foundation, Inc. to hold Sickle Cell Disease Town Hall: COVID-19 and SCD Health Disparities
- September 3: Conversation with Women in the Sickle Cell Community
- September 7: Falling Angels Sickle Cell to hold Mental Health Zoom
- September 9: Top Ladies of Distinction: Town Hall on Sickle Cell with Dr. Biree Andemariam, Chief Medical Officer of SCDAA
- September 10: South Central PA Sickle Cell Council to hold “Sickle Cell Matters” webcast on Facebook Live
- September 11: I’ll be reading my Children’s book online for the Neighborhood Health Association. (Location: TBD, I’ll update this when the information is available)
- September 12: Citizens For Quality Sickle Cell Care, Northern CT to hold CQSCC Sickle Cell Strong Walk
- September 15: GBT and SCDAA Therapeutics Conference
- September 15: South Central PA Sickle Cell Council to hold “Sickle Cell Matters” webcast on Facebook Live
- September 16: Children’s Sickle Cell Foundation, Inc. to hold Living Well with Sickle Cell Family Research Summit
- September 16 & 17: PCORI Annual Meeting
- September 17-19: 12th Annual Sickle Cell Disease Educational Seminar
- September 19: Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Michigan Chapter to hold Sickle Cell Matters Virtual Walk featuring the Sickle Slide
- September 21-22: 14th International Conference on Genomics & Pharmacogenomics
- September 21-22: 10th International Conference on Human Genetics and Genetic Diseases (Canada, Webinar)
- September 21-25: SCDAA Twitter Party
- September 22: South Central PA Sickle Cell Council to hold “Sickle Cell Matters” webcast on Facebook Live
- September 23-25: FSCDR Symposium
- September 23-25: ASGCT Policy Summit
- September 23-24: 13th International Conference on Genetics and Genetic Disorders (Italy, Webinar)
- September 24-25: Foundation for Women and Girls Conference
- September 24-25 2nd International Conference on Genetics and Molecular Biology (France, Webinar)
- September 25: Martin Center Sickle Cell Initiative to host 2020 Indiana Sickle Cell Conference
- September 26: Greater Boston Sickle Cell Disease Association to hold Virtual Walk for Sickle Cell Disease
- September 29: South Central PA Sickle Cell Council to hold “Sickle Cell Matters” webcast on Facebook Live
- September 29: 15th annual Rockin’ the Red
- October 23-24 2nd International Conference on Biomarkers and Cancer Targets (South Africa, Webinar)
- October 26-27 14th World Congress on Stem Cell Research, Cell and Gene Therapy (Italy, Webinar)
- October 13-17: SCDAA Annual Convention
- Sickle Cell Association of Houston’s Amazing Race & 5k/1k- A Historic Ward Walk for Warriors
- Ohio Sickle Cell and Health Association Zoom and Facebook gatherings
- Piedmont Health Services and Sickle Cell Agency to host Anniversary Gala and Fashion Show fundraiser
- The Sickle Cell Association of New Jersey, Inc. to host Sickle Cell Sabbath
A Resource for Children Growing Up with Sickle Cell Disease
“A Sickle Cell Coloring Book for Kids” was created to help provide education and support for families who have children living with the disease. Buy the book on Amazon: bit.ly/scdcoloringbook
This book was approved by the Sickle Cell Community Consortium Doctor’s Panel.
You’re listening to the Cleverly Changing Podcast. Episode 65. Our guest for this episode is social worker turned travel blogger and ...
Have you heard anyone say sickle cell is a disease only black people get? This statement is a myth, in fact, ...
Have you heard anyone say sickle cell is ...