Now that the weather is starting to get colder, I am relying on my slow cooker more for cooking our meals. My favorite part about the slow cooker is that it gives the spices and seasonings a chance to really simmer and flavor the meal, which usually guarantees a tasty meal for me and my family later. I have been trying new vegetarian dishes and this is one that my family really enjoyed, vegetarian sweet potato chili. The slow cooker is also easy for me to use while allowing my children to help me cook in the kitchen. After I chop each of the ingredients I allow them to add them to the pot. They love using the serving spoons to add the spices.
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Chopped sweet potato peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 Chopped onion
- 3 Chopped small garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper (about ¼ teaspoon)
- 1 28-ounce can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5-ounce can of black beans
- Garnish with your choice of the following: sour cream, sliced scallions, sliced radishes, and tortilla chips, for each serving
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili Recipe Directions
In your slow cooker (preferable size about 4 to 6-quarts), combine the following dry ingredients: chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Add onions and garlic. Add the tomatoes (and their liquid), beans, sweet potato, and 2 cups water. Cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chili has thickened. Cook time will vary per slow cooker, but it is estimated to be about 7 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high. Garnish with your choice of the following: sour cream, sliced scallions, sliced radishes, and tortilla chips, for each serving.
If you have kidney stones, you may be ...