According to a report compiled by Drs. Robin Leonard and Arlene R. Gordon with the Research Institute of Lighthouse International, “Approximately 8.3 million persons of all ages (3.1%) are “blind in one or both eyes or report some other trouble seeing” (Adams, Hendershot, & Marano, 1999). Additionally, WebMD reports that “as many as 1 in 4 preschoolers has vision problems that needs attention.” These statistics are alarming, so when contacted by GlassesUSA.com to do a review of their glasses, I accepted the offer.
Then I wondered, “Is ordering prescription glasses online an easy process?” The following review will answer this question and more.
Yes, it is fairly easy to order eyeglasses through GlassesUSA.com’ s website.
I placed my order with GlassesUSA.com on Monday, October 24 and received it on Tuesday November 1. A DHL representative arrived at my door with a nice small box that contained my glasses. When I saw the new pair of “specks” in person, I immediately thought, “These glasses look even better than they did on my computer screen.” Although they are plastic, the glasses appear to be well-made and durable. The color is also what it appeared to be online. I also like the case and cleaning cloth that comes with the order. Overall, I am a pleased customer.
If you want to know the step-by-step process here it is. Please let me know if you found this review helpful in the comment section.
1. Before placing your order I have a few tips that will help you ensure that you get the best deal; otherwise, some companies glasses seem a little overpriced after your prescription is added.
- Shop through Ebates for your glasses. (Read my “Ebates: I’m In Love” post about my experience – http://cleverlychanging.com/2010/08/ebates-im-in-love/).
- Review the Sales & Coupons on their site
- Google “code for GlassesUSA” sites like Retailmenot.com will have some good codes available.
Also available for a limited time are the following Coupon Codes:
- LIMITED TIME: Take 50% off any pair of prescription eyeglass frames (standard lenses included) with the code: Fall50 (additional charges may apply if optical lens upgrades are used)
- Take 10% off any order. Code: Blog10
- Free shipping on ALL US orders use coupon: freeship10
2. Within GlassesUSA.com, go to the type of glasses that you are looking for.
I searched by “Women’s Glasses.”
3. Choose the type of frames or lenses that interest you.
I chose to shop by lens “Bifocal / Multifocals” because I was looking for bifocals and I wanted to see all of the options available for this type of lens.
4. Next, choose the frames that you like the best.
I prefer to search by price. Once you have found the pair you like click on them. I chose “Erich Gray,” a pair for $38. Hopefully, their selection of eyeglasses will expand soon.
5. Then READ THE REVIEWS.
I cannot stress this enough, always try to read reviews when you want to buy glasses online. Review give you an opportunity to know what others thought after they actually received their item. I was satisfied with the good reviews I read for the pair I chose. I was looking for comments about quality, weight, feel, accurate description etc.
6. I chose a style that I know looks great on my face, but they offer the nifty “Try-it Mirror” that will allow you to try on the glasses virtually.
First you select your gender, then you choose one of the following options:
- Upload a photo (a full frontal that shows your face clearly is best)
- Use your Webcam (Keep in mind that you may be recorded)
- Select one of their photos (this is the option I chose; however, their were no models that were similar to me. More ethnic diversity is needed so I could not base my choice on which color looked best against the model’s skin tone; instead, I chose a model that had similar cheek bone structure.) This option also lets you compare which glasses you like the best.
7. Next, Select What you plan to use your glasses for:
Distance – Single Vision
Progressive (Distance and Reading)
BiFocal with Line
Reading to see near
Fashion – Without Prescription
8. Then choose Lens Thickness and Eye and Lens Protection
I really like that you can combine all 3 coatings for only $20 and that transitions and color tints are available options on their sites.
9. Next enter your prescription
It is great that their site gives you 3 options to enter your prescription. To me, this is probably the most intimidating part for most people and why most people are hesitant to place online orders. But Glasses USA has made it it easy to input your prescription by also allowing you to scan the prescription and email it or fax it to the company.
10. Click “Add to Cart.”
Look over the order to make sure that it is correct. Add your Coupon Code if you have one, click “Apply Code” and make sure that the price changes to verify that the code was accepted. Then click “Proceed to checkout.” If you don’t want to register with the company and receive their emails, checkout as a guest. You will still need to insert your information so they will receive your payment and can ship your new glasses to you.
The best part about GlassesUSA.com is that they accept Paypal, so you don’t have to use your credit card if you have a Paypal account.
Disclosure mandated by the FCC: “GlassesUSA.com paid for the majority of the cost associated with the glasses in this review. All of the opinions expressed are honest and my own. The Research Institute of Lighthouse International and WebMD do not endorse GlassesUSA.com.”
More about the Sponsor: Glasses USA.com
- 110% lowest price guarantee and a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- A generous refer-a-friend program (You can get $30 for each first purchase a referred friend makes – and use the $30 towards your next pair of glasses)
- A Facebook page and Twitter feed with exclusive discounts for fans
- A fun virtual mirror that allows you to “try on” your glasses before you buy them. You can even send the pictures to your friend!
Statistics – http://www.gesta.org/estudos/statistics0402.pdf
WebMD report by Charlene Laino and reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD – http://children.webmd.com/news/20111028/studies-vision-problems-in-preschoolers-are-common
This post was shared in partnership with Adagio ...