During this episode we will share and discuss Stacey Woodson’s homeschooling journey and how being a dietician and an author influences her parenting and family relationships.
History to Explore
One of the most influential instruments in African culture are drums. Drums are considered the heartbeat of Africa. The book Oral Literature in Africa discusses how drums were used to communicate different messages in African culture (learn more).
Use this resource to learn more about Nigerian food.
Oun t’a ó jẹ l’àgbà oun ta ó se: “What we want to eat is, on the hierarchical scale, superior to what we want to do. – Yoruba Proverb
Please tweet us using the #cleverlychangingpodcast to tell us what this proverb means to you or leave us a voicemail and let us know what you think this African Proverb means.
Word of the Episode
Osan means orange in Yoruba and is from the country of Nigeria
Want to be a guest on an upcoming show? Just fill out this form, and we will send you an interview link when your request is approved.
We’re bringing back Cleverly Cultured Kids! We want to feature your kids on Cleverly Cultured Kids, so please complete this Interview form for kids, and we will send you an interview link once your request is approved.
You can call us directly now. Please leave us a voicemail and let us know how you enjoy the show or share your questions.
Order a Clever Homeschool Kit:
Don’t forget to order one of our exclusive Clever Homeschool Kits. The value of each individual kit is $175 USD, and the first 25 people who sign-up for a kit will receive free-shipping. Kits ship in early October and will include: t-shirts, games, stickers, a planner, and more.
Grown Folks Talking About Growing Nutritious Foods and Educating Kids
- Register for your Clever Homeschool Starter Kit here.
Our guest, Stacey Woodson, MS, RD, LDN is a dietitian-nutritionist and entrepreneur. She is a counselor, speaker, and author on the topics of nutrition and wellness.
She loves teaching children about healthy eating and introducing them to new foods. She also has a passion for representing and affirming children of color which inspired her to start a clothing line named Melanated Magic Tees. Stacey enjoys gardening, foraging, yoga, and spending time in nature. Her Delicious and Nutritious children’s book series empowers children with the knowledge to make nourishing food choices and become adventurous eaters. The series was inspired by and loosely based on her children. Stacey lives in Philadelphia, PA with her husband, three children, and her cat.
Inside this episode you can look forward to hearing about:
- How Stacey got started homeschooling.
- How she approaches educating her children..
- What it’s like being an author and a homeschool mom.
- Ways she incorporates nutrition and healthy living into her homeschooling.
- Exploring how words matter and ways to frame nutrition in ways that are less polarizing.
Connect with Stacey Woodson about nutritious foods and educating kids
- Website: staceywoodson.com
- Instagram: @motheringwhilemelanated
- Facebook: motheringwhilemelanated
- The Princess of Picky Eating Tries New Foods (Delicious and Nutritious)
- The Prince of Picky Eating Tries New Foods (Delicious and Nutritious)
Tweetable quote: “If you can read and do basic math you can learn how to do anything.” – Stacey Woodson, MS, RD, LDN
Resources to help teach your children about gardening and nutritious foods
- UNICEF has a great list for parents to jump start better eating habits.
- See What Grows has some great suggestions on how to get kids excited about growing food.
- OurSpace has a lot of great educational opportunities for families who are interested in gardening and survival skills.
- If you’re interested in getting started growing, your local library is a great place to start. Many cities and counties have a seed library in addition to books, and they offer patrons seeds to help them grow a variety of plants and vegetables.
- Miriam’s farm, Sisters of the Soil Community Farm, has volunteer opportunities for folks of all ages to help out on the farm and learn more about growing and food.
- Ujamaa Cooperative Farming Alliance has a wealth of resources and they offer events and workshops as well.
Please share this episode
Cognitive-behavioral therapy: An introductionWhen it comes to mental health, a wide variety of treatment options are available. One of the most popular and well-researched ...
Essential Wedding Planning Tips For Brides-To-Be With Kidsbeing a mom and a bride-to-be with kids is far from unusual - and while it can certainly throw up some unique challenges.
Understanding Co-Occurring DisordersCo-occurring disorders, also known as dual diagnosis, occur when a person has both a mental disorder and an addiction. While it ...
From Teacher to Publisher Lesson 97Maria Dismondy is the founder of the publishing company Cardinal Rule Press. She inspires and educates others in the book industry. ...
Teaching Black History With Brandi Riley?Brandi Riley is a mom who is dedicated to teaching Black History. She is also the author behind the new Black ...
Lesson 95 Homeschool Tip 2 How to Create Lesson PlansIn Episode 95 of the Cleverly Changing Podcast, we discuss how to create homeschool lesson plans for your student. WE’VE GOT ...
From Teacher to Publisher Lesson 97
Maria Dismondy is the founder of the publishing ...