I want to share with you, my system for getting kids to learn new information quickly and thoroughly. In my opinion parents/teachers should use apps to build a child’s confidence and reiterate educational concepts taught in the home or classroom. Educational apps are great for practice and help students enjoy learning by using more than one of their senses to drill-in the lesson.
3 core strategies for learning and how to use apps to compliment this process:
- Verbal – Make sure your child has a good grasp of being able to identify numbers by name. Then clearly show your child the hands on a clock. Identify the short hand, long hand, and second hand.
- Visual – Use flash cards to help show how each hour appears on a clock. After the long hand (hour-hand) is understood move on to the half hour mark, then quarter mark and so forth (it is also helpful, if you have taught your child how to count by 5s).
- Practical – Play a matching game with flash cards to match the digital and analog clocks. Throughout the day ask your child to tell you the time. Be sure there is an analog clock in the home to reinforce the lesson.
- Reinforce through apps – Once, your child understands time the general idea of how time changes, then allow him or her to play time games with an online app.
Repetition deepens the impression. Once a concept is learned from time-to-time you will need to revisit it, in order to maintain your level of understanding. When looking for an app for your child here are several factors that you want to be aware of:
- Is the app appropriate for your child’s level of learning?
- Does the app build on information and concepts shared?
- Does the app guide your child within the learning process?
- Are the games fun for your child? Does the app have in-app purchases or ads that may distract from learning?
Of course, you are totally free to do what you feel is best for your family, but I wanted to let you know my personal method. While my methods work, there are a variety of ways to reach the same goals.
Reader question: What are some of your favorite learning apps for your child or students?
Essential Wedding Planning Tips For Brides-To-Be With Kidsbeing a mom and a bride-to-be with kids is far from unusual - and while it can certainly throw up some unique challenges.
Understanding Co-Occurring DisordersCo-occurring disorders, also known as dual diagnosis, occur when a person has both a mental disorder and an addiction. While it ...
From Teacher to Publisher Lesson 97Maria Dismondy is the founder of the publishing company Cardinal Rule Press. She inspires and educates others in the book industry. ...
Review of Night Zookeeper An Educational Online ProgramNight Zookeeper, an educational online program, is geared towards learners between the ages of 6 and 12 (grades 1 through 6). Night Zookeeper is offering Cleverly Changing readers a 7-day free trial to help you fall in love with the program, and 50% off the annual subscription. Keep reading to get the special link.
Don’t Get Hacked Secure your Facebook Security SettingsWith a userbase of over 2.38 billion active users, Facebook is one of the world’s biggest social media websites. Therefore it ...
What Your Facebook Page Says About YouIt’s no secret that Facebook can be addicting. For many people Facebook is a great way to connect with co-workers, family, ...
Review of Night Zookeeper An Educational Online Program
Night Zookeeper, an educational online program, is geared towards learners between the ages of 6 and 12 (grades 1 through 6). Night Zookeeper is offering Cleverly Changing readers a 7-day free trial to help you fall in love with the program, and 50% off the annual subscription. Keep reading to get the special link.