Changing babies can be tricky once they realize they can move. Here are some tips that can help you change your twins or singleton without many messy leaks.
- Use a changing table. As your child gets older you may need to find a larger area that will work for you, but always make sure that your child is strapped in because you don’t want to have any accidents.
- Be ready. A table/ designated changing area will help you centralize everything that you need to change your baby. Remember not only to have diapers at hand, but also unscented wipes, ointment for possible rashes, hand-sanitizer, an extra onesie or outfit.
- Don’t over do it. Don’t add a lot of unnecessary items that may get in you way while changing such as blankets.
- Use a distraction like a plastic book or toy. Infants won’t need it but older children will. I recommend that you use something that can be easily washed in hot water and/or soaked in Clorox if needed.
- Don’t try to juggle too much. Yes, you will become a master at multi-tasking but, if you have twins remember it is almost impossible to change both children at the same time, so be patient. Keep one child in a playpen or in another safe spot while his or her sibling gets cleaned.
- Add music or audio books into the equation. Sing a song or put on a cd that your child likes. Most kids will need something to occupy them while they wait because their attention spans are short.
- Be quick. You will become a master changer after a couple of weeks. Slip the new diaper under the old one and wipe well. Then take the old diaper and dispose of it as needed depending on the type of waste. Extra soiled diapers with poo will need to be scrapped into the toilet so be prepared (according to manufacturer’s instructions). When this happens their favorite music will come in handy when you need extra time.
- Be prepared for the smelly ones. Some people use diaper genies or other products, or even a diaper service, but whatever your choice you must come up with a plan or else their changing area will reek. If you are trying to be frugal and green consider cloth diapers but have a game plan about how you are going to scrap, wash, and go.
- Be calm. Use this time to teach your child about their body. Sing “Head, shoulders, knees, and toes.” Smile and laugh a lot. If you don’t seem stressed about it, neither will your child.
- Lastly, make sure that you always keep the next size up close by, children grow fast so you want to be ready for growth spurts and surprises.
READER RESPONSE REQUESTED: Do you have any tips that you would like to add? I would love to hear about what has worked for you.
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Huggies blogging program, for a gift card worth $35. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”
The Huggies® community brings parents together so that you and your babies fully enjoy every day, whatever the day presents. Enjoy the ride with Huggies®.
Technology is great. Tech gadgets are interactive and fun for children to use, but giving him or her an electronic device ...
Join us and the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Inc. (SCDAA) for National Sickle Cell Advocacy Day 2013 Tuesday, June 25, 2013 at ...
Pregnancy is a time of joy, but it can also be a time of worry. There are many health issues that ...
There’s one part of the credit picture that we tend to not think of, and that is the elderly. There seems ...
Pregnancy is a time of joy, but it ...