Tacky Box Set
Summary: Great learning tool for a classroom or home.
Great learning tool
* Free product received to facilitate the review.I t’s important for our children to learn at an early age how to choose their words wisely. The Tacky Box set is a great resource for parents to use in educating their children about the power of words. If you have more than one child, then it is also a great tool to use in your home to help hold each child/family member accountable for what he or she says.
My children have never heard the saying that I frequently recited as a child, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” While the words themselves cannot do any harm, the power of words seeps deep into our minds and the way that we internalize them can affect us tangibly. I want my twins to understand that their words have power and they should use them to encourage, uplift, support, and advocate for themselves. These lessons start at home so when they encounter others whose words are meant for hate, ill-will, and to weaken, they will recognize it and freely rid themselves of the negativity, and then move on.
The Tacky Box sets the foundation for parents to teach these concepts to young children. The Tacky Box is part of a set, it comes with several helpful tools: a book, notepad, and instructions. With these tools the box sets up an opportunity for parents and children to discuss right and wrong verbal behaviors. The box is designed to put away hurtful and bad words that your child hears.
After my girls read Margo’s Magnificent Choice we sat down together and discussed the words they heard in the story that should belong in the tacky box, and then we talked about words other children and people around them have used that would also belong in the box.
Initially, they were hesitant to tell me the words that were on their minds. They blushed and said, “Mom will I get in trouble if I say it?”
Of course, I replied. “No.” Then, to my surprise, my daughter wrote “hate” on her piece of paper first. The next words they wrote were “I don’t like you.” I could easily see that my children were recording these negative experiencing. I was happy that we had the Tacky Box to help us identify what to do with words that don’t belong in our thoughts.
If your child is in school away from home, I’m sure this box will come in handy and, if you homeschool your children like I do, then it is an important addition as well.
The tacky box is great because it:
- Encourages dialog between parents and children
- Helps children recognize their feelings and how they treat others
- Gives them a chance to see that sometimes, people may not see the kindness we possess if our interactions with them don’t reflect love.
- Reminds them that words can hurt or help.
- Children can personalize it and make it a special part of the items that cherish.
Question – What do you like about the Tacky box?
- “I like the colors we painted it.”
- “I liked that I could customize it, and I like the pictures of the monkeys on the box”.
Question – What did you like about the book?
- “Mom, the book was, Margo’s Magnificent Choice. It’s a great story and she had a tacky box too.”
- “I loved it!”
Question – What are you going to do with your tacky box?
- “Put bad words in it”
Question – Why?
- “Because it’s a Tacky box, for tacky words.”
They got! At 5 they were able to understand the concept and began to put it into practice. If you are a parent and want to explore these concepts with your family by using the Tacky box you can enter the giveaway below. You will have two options: Margo’s Magnificent Choice or Max’s Magnificent Choice. This contest ends March 17, 2014 at 12AM.
(1 Tacky Box Order is $29.95 )
ENTER TO WIN YOUR VERY OWN TACKY BOX SET
One mandatory entry: Visit Tacky Box’s Website and tell me the title of one of their blog post?
|Disclaimer: Cleverly Changing’s bloggers were not compensated for this post but we did receive a product for the purpose of review. All opinions are 100% our own. We are not associated with any of the companies named above. No purchase is necessary to enter. Void where prohibited by law. The odds of winning are based on the number of entries received Open in the U.S. age 18+ only. Confirmed Winner(s) (by rafflecopter.com) will be contacted by email. Winner(s) have 48 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. The sponsor(s) will be responsible for product shipment to winner(s) of this giveaway. My blog is not responsible for product shipment/delivery. This event is in no way administered, sponsored, or endorsed by, or associated with, Facebook and/or Twitter, Google, Pinterest. This disclosure is done in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission 10 CFR, Part 255 Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.|
“This is a sponsored post on behalf of ...