This post was done in partnership with Unlimited Possibilities Company Fam Tours.
Adults and children can all be fascinated by the intricacies of the livelihood of spies. Covert work done in secret is captivating to so many people. John Le Carre once said, “A spy, like a writer, lives outside the mainstream population. He steals his experience through bribes and reconstructs it.” The fact is, a spy probably isn’t the loudest person in the room drawing attention to him or herself. Instead, he or she may be demure, observant, and under the radar. Visiting the spy museum is just like it’s subject, it’s in the heart of Washington, DC, but the building itself can be overlooked not far from Chinatown because of how small it appears on the outside.
The Spy Museum is more than what meets the eye[tweetthis]There’s so many loops and turns inside @SpyMuseum visitors feel as if they stepped into an underground kaleidoscope.[/tweetthis]
Furthermore, the museum stands out on the inside because all the space available within it was utilized brilliantly. The artifacts enclosed take you from Ancient Greece through early American history into present times. It even showcases a beautiful collection of items from popular Hollywood movies such as the Bond series in their 007 Exhibit. There are thousands of historical facts to uncover within the museum. So the trip is definitely educational, but also fun. Overall, the information is so astounding that the facts are even more astounding than the fictitious stories. Such as animals that served as spies like pigeons and robotic snakes.
You can learn more about the secret world of espionage on their Spycast podcast.
Is it OK to Bring Children to the Spy Museum?
The museum shares mature content that is real. It is very much a museum for adults, but because children often have a fascination with spy intel, the museum has done an excellent job of providing resources and educational programs available to schools and families.
Thus, while, visiting the museum I had the opportunity to speak with the Spy Museum’s Youth Education Director, Jacqueline V. Eyl, she spoke of some intriguing programs that the museum hosts for kids.
The Spy Museum is different from other DC museums because it offers these 10 Incredible Features:
- Take a trip through an air duct within the museum just as if you’re a covert agent undercover.
- Uncover the secret world of real espionage around the globe.
- Complete a family mission or Eye Spy scavenger hunt as you travel through the museum.
- Give your kids an opportunity to become a spy during the summer at the museum’s Spy Camp. Older teens from 15-18 can also gain community service hours by volunteering at the summer camp.
- Host a birthday party for kids and adults.
- Take a spy writer’s workshop.
- Sleep at the museum during one of their special overnight family nights.
- If the world of espionage fascinates you learn more about it by visiting the museum’s blog.
- Visit the gift shop and get some their cool spy gear.
- Become a member of their Inner Circle and receive discounts and special perks.
Know Before You Go
Lastly, Before you go on your next Spy Museum Trip please keep their visitor policy in mind:
To enhance the experience of all guests, and to protect the exhibits and artifacts, please note the following policies within all Museum exhibition areas:
No flash photography/videography*
No food, drink, or chewing gum
No pets (only service animals are allowed inside the building)
Do not use cellular or mobile telephones within the museum
Guests under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
More About the International Spy Museum
(1) BrainyQuote. retrieved May 31, 2017 from https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/spy.html
At the time of this post, it should be noted that the Spy Museum will be moving to a new and larger location soon. Also, this post was shared in partnership with Unlimited Possibilities Company Fam Tours. All opinions shared are my own.
Learn more about another museum in the DC area:
In Episode 95 of the Cleverly Changing Podcast, we discuss how to create homeschool lesson plans for your student. WE’VE GOT ...
Oh, the wonders that await you at Massanutten Resort! I really do mean it. We’ve only been back home a few ...
Along the coast of Southern California beautiful there are many interesting seaports and boat harbors to visit. Visiting San Diego this ...
A sober living home is a safe and ...