It feels like school just let out, but time isn’t slowing down. Can you believe it. Our 2015 tax free days are only about a week or two away. It’s time to plan your strategy for getting the best deals in time for school.
Contrary to common belief, tax-free days from states are not only for Back-to-School Supplies. Many states also offer tax-free days for emergency preparedness items as well as energy star appliance and other goods. Taxes can really add up, so if you are trying to save big, you can SAVE BIG by not paying taxes and by following several of the tips listed below.
The best way to maximize your tax-free savings during back to school time is to prepare a list of all the items you need.
Back to school tax free holiday savings tips:
- School supply list can often be found online at your child’s school website or at a local Walmart. Follow Staples penny deals and take advantage of reviewing local ads at office supply stores throughout the summer. Read 10 more tips for Saving Money on School Supplies
- Go through the items you may still have from last school year and see if they are still in good condition, only replace items as need.
- Do an inventory of your child’s clothes and come of with a list of clothes that your child will need.
- Don’t forget about checking local thrift and discount stores to find some items at cheaper prices.
- Even if you plan to homeschool these deals can reduce your family cost as well. Read 4 Ways to start Homeschooling on a Limited Budget. Keep in mind that certain homeschool online sites (like Classical Conversations), will honor the tax free days in your state.
Every state’s back to school tax-free holiday is different, see the schedule below to find out about which date your state’s tax-free weekend falls on.
2015 Sales tax free dates
Printable List – (All tax free dates, including energy and emergency preparedness tax free dates too)
|Alabama||August 7-9||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $50, books under $30, and computer related items priced under $750.|
|Arkansas||August 1-2||Clothes and School supplies under $100|
|Connecticut||August 16-22||Clothes and Footwear under $100|
|Florida||August 7-16||Clothes and school supplies under $100, supplies under $15, and computer related items priced under $750.|
|Georgia||July 31 – August 1||Clothes and school supplies under $100, supplies under $20, and computer related items priced under $1,000|
|Iowa||August 7-8||Clothes under $100|
|Louisiana||August 7-8||Tangible personal property (TPP) for non-business (which is most items) under $2,500|
|Maryland||August 9-15||Clothes and Footwear under $100|
|Mississippi||July 31- Aug. 1
||Clothes and Footwear under $100|
|Missouri||August 7-9||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $50, and computer related items priced under $3,500|
|New Mexico||August 7-9||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $50, and computer related items priced under $1,000|
|Unfortunately, NC no longer holds sales tax holidays in their state.|
|Ohio||August 7-9||Clothing priced at $75 per item or less; School supplies priced at $20 per item or less; and School instructional material priced at $20 per item or less.|
|Oklahoma||August 7-9||Clothes under $100|
|South Carolina||August 7-9
||Clothes, School supplies, and computers|
|Tennessee||August 7-9||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $100, and computer related items priced under $1,500|
|Texas||August 7-9||Clothes , Backpacks, and School supplies under $100|
||Clothes under $100, School supplies under $20, energy star products under $2,500 and generators under $1,000|
- It’s Back to School Time, Is Your Child Ready?
- Ten Tips for Ensuring a Healthy, Safe and Successful School Year
- Parents Save Money on eBay
Reader Response: What are some unique ways you save during back to school time?
2015 State Sales Tax Holidays. TaxAdmin.org. Retrieved July 26, 2015 from file:///Users/Test/Desktop/Sales%20Tax%20Holidays.html.
With the countless tips, tools and hacks out ...