Recently, health care deficiencies have arose in the news because of the new health care reform bill. We may not all agree about the specifics, but one thing that is certain is America’s health care system needs to be improved. Almost daily, horror stories about uninsured and ill informed people are in the news because of a tragic unnecessary death that could have been prevented if the person had access to better health care. Please read the following 5 tips that will help you become more aware about your health and what you need to do in order to take a more proactive approach towards you and your families health care needs.
1. Evaluate your health issues and your health care needs. Take a few minutes to jot down medical problems that you may currently have or that you may foresee having in the future. Include any medications and health care desires such seeing specialist or obtaining specialized care for your specific needs.
2. Research the health care options available. Consider what your employer may offer as well as other non-job related health care plans. Finding a plan that you pay for 100% out of pocket may work for your situation, but you must be aware of the plans that are on the market and your own specific needs.
3. Be aware and organized about your health expenses. Know what is leaving your pocket whether it is for preventive care, such as a gym membership or for hospitalizations. Review your receipts and develop a relationship with your health care insurance provider so that you will be better equipped to make the best health care decisions you can. Such as whether or not it would be wise to join a mail order prescription plan or which screening test are available for you. Also be aware of your family medical history so that you will know certain risk factors that you may be predisposed to.
4. Be prepared for your health visits. Know and have documentation of your medical history. Write down questions that you want to know beforehand so that the doctor can answer them in your presence. Know if your insurance provides online personal health records (PHR) as a secure option. In order for future health care providers to serve you best they need to be aware of your past medical history. Als0 know your rights as a patient and as a consumer of health care insurance.
5. Take an active role in preventive care. The best way to stay healthy is to eat right, exercise, rest, and avoid harmful substances. We all have heard the phrase “You are what you eat.” In fact, our quality of life may be as good as the food that consume.
Following these 5 simple steps can change your life and help you live better in many ways. Choose to be informed, choose to be a healthy individual with a mission to live holistically.
Aetna is one of the nation’s leading diversified health care benefits companies, serving approximately 35.8 million people with information and resources to help them make better informed decisions about their health care. Aetna offers a broad range of traditional and consumer-directed health insurance products and related services, including medical, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, group life and disability plans, and medical management capabilities and health care management services for Medicaid plans. Our customers include employer groups, individuals, college students, part-time and hourly workers, health plans, governmental units, government-sponsored plans, labor groups and expatriates. For more information, see www.aetna.com. To learn more about Aetna’s innovative online tools, visit www.aetnatools.com.
About Be Smart About Your Health:
Be Smart About Your Health is a one-stop consumer health benefits educational resource from Aetna designed to help people discover more about their physical and financial health and health benefits. Launched in 2010, the website allows visitors to think like smart health care consumers, choose the right benefits, track spending, plan health care visits and live well to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The portal also houses recent health information from Aetna InteliHealth®, interactive tools and the latest updates on health reform. Be Smart About Your Health promotes a better understanding to help people make more informed health care decisions and to help consumers protect their health and their finances. www.BeSmartAboutYourHealth.com.
To read more about taking a step in the right direction regarding your health-care click here.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Aetna blogging program, making me eligible to get a $30 Target gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.
When it comes to any medical procedure, you’ll always find some myths intertwined with the truth, which makes it difficult to ...
If you were diagnosed with hormone receptor positive breast cancer and are currently undergoing or about to start an initial five-year ...
Suffering from allergies is no fun. There are some days when you just can’t seem to be able to leave your ...
Suffering from allergies is no fun. There are ...